A new and exciting opportunity at a leading law firm, for an experienced L&D professional to join their team to establish and lead their first learning & development function.
This role will be responsible for all professional and career development training with the simple aim of ensuring that everyone in the firm has the chance to maximise their potential and job satisfaction.
The principal duties of the role are to:-
- Own the annual appraisal process, including the Clear Review system, to ensure effective professional objectives and career development goals are set, reviewed, and assessed for all employees
- Conduct skills gap analysis (through the appraisal process) to identify training and development needs for all employees
- Ensure systems are in place to allow all lawyers in the firm to meet (effectively and efficiently) their continuing competence obligations under SRA regulations and guidance
- Oversee the firm’s training contracts to ensure trainees receive the best training possible and in compliance with the SRA’s Training Regulations
- Establish the ‘Associate Development Programme’ which seeks to provide associates with the information, training, and other support necessary to facilitate their progress through the firm.
- Establish, and deliver (whether in-house or provided externally), appropriate professional and career training for business services staff
- In respect of all staff (including partners), establish a coaching programme to deliver bespoke business skills improvement as required (including training for coaching and for mentoring)
- Advise on other training & development options, for example an apprenticeship programme utilising apprenticeship levy funds and the Digital Apprenticeship Service
- Deliver diversity & inclusion training (including training in relation to interviews) in accordance with our policies and to meet our obligations under SRA Regulations and Guidance
- Manage the training budget
The successful applicant will have gained the following key skills:
- Previous experience in an L&D role ideally within professional services
- Previous experience establishing a capability from first principles
- Ability to design and deliver training
- Good understanding of Knowledge Management principles
- Commercial nous to identify and negotiate best value with external providers and manage budgets
- Good appreciation of regulatory requirements
- Outstanding relationship building skills at all levels to champion change and continuous improvement
- Experience of coaching and mentoring
As a responsible business, it is important that we represent the diversity of our people, our clients and our communities. We believe that the firms that thrive are those with the most diverse team; that's why we work so hard to source the best talent from the broadest pool possible. As an equal opportunities employer we strive to accommodate anyone who may have specific needs. If you require reasonable adjustments to be made during the selection process, please talk to a member of the recruitment team so that any required adjustments can be made in advance.